I was, erm, curious, to read that a newly discovered network for curiosity and novelty seeking has been discovered.
This is interesting for numerous reasons:
- Curiosity is considered an essential survival trait
- Many business are promoting curiosity and novelty seeking in combination with “agile thinking”
These researchers found three “exploration” patterns (which have previously been considered part of the same mechanism):
- Curiosity and novelty seeking (just curious, that’s it)
- Hunger (searching for food)
- Hunting (combined with aggression)
Interesting was also that curiosity, as a separate brain circuit, seems to be strongly linked to an obscure brain region which has barely been researched: the Zona Incerta.
This suggest that curiosity and novelty seeking is
- Controlled by a specific network
- Will be different in different people.
If you’re reading this, you likely have an active Zone Incerta circuit — welcome to the club!